Monday, June 2

Ogenyi Onazi Responds To Match- Fixing Allegations


Super Eagles and Lazio midfielder, Ogenyi Onazi has responded to media reports linking him to an alleged match fixer Henry Chukwuma Okoroji who was caught on tape telling an undercover reporter that he could fix games and organise certain outcomes during the tournament in Brazil this month.


Speaking from a hotel room in Milan, the businessman and his associate – only known as Joe – told the reporter a list of prices he would have to pay for different outcomes, including a a red card.

He said a yellow card would set them back 50,000 euros (£40,660) and a penalty 100,000 euros (£81,370).

He reportedly called Onazi on phone to join them at the hotel room.

Onazi through his tweets has responded to the story, read his tweets below:

My attention has been drawn to a publication relating to issues about match fixing.


First, let me state unequivocally that I have no link whatsoever to any individual or group with ties to the corrupt issues of match fixing.


A certain Mr Okoroji was mentioned in the publication. My previous contact with Mr Okoroji was based on the fact that we are both Nigerians.


As a matter of fact, I am surprised to learn that Mr Okoroji is a FIFA licensed agent.


On the day of this meeting, he had earlier told me that his associates had an endorsement proposition for my consideration.


I duly informed my friend and who manages my affairs.


When I got to the meeting, I found out it was all about fixing matches. I told them a resounding NO and left.


Interestingly, this is the same version sated in the publication.


I thank my family, friends, fans nd colleagues who have shown a sense of understanding and displayed love and support to me


Finally, let me reassure you all that I remain competitive and will never accede to any plan to bring the game of football to disrepute.

My loyalty towards Nigerians and to the mantra of Fair play remains unwavering.


I and my colleagues remain resolute and focused. We will take this on the chin and move on.


No comments:

Post a Comment