Thursday, June 11

What does the Land get?



Let me call this my space, so many thoughts run through my mind at any point in time.  I’m a naturally curious person, I seek to know, I ask questions and I’m open to criticisms.

Nigeria and Nigerians have always been a source of burning curiosity? What makes them tick?
An average Nigerian is an economist, teacher, politician, administrator,lawyer,doctor ,judge,banker,footballer,coach,agriculturalist,spiritualist and what have you because we all possess knowledge about how to properly govern but we all ignore the basic fact: Action speaks louder than words .

I am from the western part of Nigeria and I have been privileged to meet with people from other tribes, religions even people from my own tribe with different variations of our shared language.
I don’t have problems with these individuals beyond normal effects of a healthy relationship. But I have been indoctrinated to believe I should not trust people other than my tribe, I have to always be on guard around them and definitely they are the ‘’real problem of Nigeria.

Taking my thoughts back to pr-independence, generations back; they valued hard work and rewarded good deeds, they dealt with criminals decisively. I heard stories of buying something and just leaving the exact amount beside on the table containing other goods.

Generations came and then naturally things started turning around, with generations come more development.  They had their battles: slave trade, colonial rule etc. It could not have been easy adjusting to being a Nigerian after being an Igbo man for so long etc but they had love for the land and fought for their independence from colonial rule.

They had love for the land: the land gave so much; it was and has always been filled with love for us. It gives but we take and refuse to show back the same love. Just imagine a Nigeria where each of its precious resources are maximized and efficiently managed and utilized. What a beautiful strong country it will be.

God will help us. That’s the prayer everybody prays but then I’m curious: What sort of help do we need precisely? I mean we are told to ask directly and he will answer us. But hey, do we need him to:

Farm the land.

Take us physically to register for and vote during elections as citizens of the country.

Help us in our work ethics: Show up for work, be punctual and perform our duties.

Stop us from identifying and collectively fight against people that import fake drugs and all sorts.

Pay our taxes?

Honestly we expect too much for doing little. Spiritual centers are so much in the country; there are some churches with 3 branches on a busy road. Certainly we must be good and have faith in God; he is a God of impossibility. [I love God and I will write about my love for him].But we do not need his help, we need his mercies.

The leaders of these institutions can see many of their members living below the average line. Why preach faith to him instead of educating him, how many people know their rights and duties as citizens, yes the government has failed but I believe it will benefit my life more if I understand what it takes to be a Nigerian because God cares about me and has provided for me but I have to unlock the blessings and enjoy them only by being a good citizen that knows my right. I have rights and duties also.

I wonder a lot about roads, if roads are constructed the way they should be. Would it affect the life span of a politician? Some roads are awarded to as little as three different contractors under different dispensations just so everyone can get a piece of it.

I’m a Nigerian, if I journey  on a durable road to get to and fro in order to sell my goods and services, I get home and I know there is steady power supply, I cannot control everyone around me and truth be told : some people are biologically criminal minded.

To a reasonable extent I know I can depend on my security agents for justice. I pay a lot and much more for not even having any of the above. Why wouldn’t I pay for the services rendered to me. I should pay for amenities, it is part of my duty to the country.

I’m fighting for survival. I would pay tax to be able to send my child to school and be confident they are being taught adequately with the future of Nigeria in mind. Rather than faith, teach me how to be diligent in my work, so we don’t have a ministry of education employing thousands yet mushroom schools keep popping us as much as bars and churches.

Frankly the youths of nowadays scare me. A thought for another day.

Every day we hear of new killings, so much horror stories. We read, we listen, we see but we do not act. The market women who form the core of politics: who told you the only gain you should enjoy from your efforts is being able to call an honorable and say ‘’ please help my boy, police arrested him. Etc.

If you have access to basic needs and are educated. At the very least is every citizen guaranteed education up to a level where you can read and write and be able to communicate , will it not be of benefit to all. The youths are literally being left to themselves. You have people graduating from institutions without knowledge and before you start pointing fingers at politicians: you bribed to get your son pass JAMB, you encouraged your daughter to sell her body all in a bid to say my child is also a graduate.

We are all complicit in the problems of Nigeria. Every time it’s my vote will not count, why should I make an effort? Think multiplication.

Our silence, avoidance, acceptance of the status quo, lies ,participation, involuntary and voluntary actions in suppressing the voices all went  a long way towards getting us to the point we find ourselves now. Nigerians are a rare breed. Precious and watched by the world because they would rather not deal with us but they can’t help it. We are dynamic and brilliant.

We don’t appreciate ourselves. Our different regions have different strengths and weaknesses, is there no way we can work together. United is always stronger. Politicians are not gods you know. If you serve the people does it mean you become poor?

 To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment