Thursday, June 12

My Naija Mind.

I'm sure some people wonder what exactly do i mean by my naija mind, don't sweat it. Its that part of my brain that's wholly and totally Nigerian, you know the part that even when im wrong or just plain stupid, i rationalise it to myself.

I don't know about any other Nigerian anyways, because we are all different and unique people, but then as for me, one way i know i'm a Nigerian always, as old as i am [ i mean that literally], i still celebrate power supply, the first question when i walk into my house is this: Did PHCN give us power today at all? [ For all of you, who was born, has lived, or is still living here; i'm sure you know how the question really is framed, but lets just gloss over it. Thanks in advance]


So have i ever mentioned, i love Nigeria, especially lagos? Well now you know, so i was in my favourite part of Lagos yesterday, Ikeja [ i grew up there, so it has a sentimental value for island advocators. Thank you]

My sister in law sort of gave me a sensational gist that i would share with you folks soon,  i'm still trying to reel it all in, i guess now that I'm a blogger, secrets are no longer safe with me. [ one of the disadvantages, people love me... literally and figuratively]

So back to my naija mind, on our way home, for those who know Ikeja, that market, i mean the market where you have to walk with your arms glued to your side, your eyes straight ahead so as not to fall into temptation.

We both denied ourselves till i suggested we pass through the other end, that is facing the village [computer village for some], we simply call it village.

My sis in law could not hold herself any longer, the things she bought just from that place to the roundabout, chai, we need to re-orientate her. There was this bread sha o, it was displayed right outside a mini mart kind of place with a little girl to attend to people, coconut fluffy bread, but anyways the gist is we had to go in to pay for the bread and oh my oh my, its an understatement to say Igbo people are industrious, they are the industry.

The maximization of that little space, would make your head spin, i had to drag her out of there. No PR for those seeking the name, so we walked on pass the fresh fish and the earrings and those incessant calls for aunty you want to make your hair, pink lips, tattoo and one of them had the audacity to ask me : Aunty you want a flat tummy?

I mean i know my tummy is not flat, but is that not a veiled insult? i even wondered how he was going to get me a flat tummy, would probably ask the next time[ one can never tell, you know]

Then this tricycle driver almost hit me while i was searching for my ringing phone in my bag, i looked up and saw that he also wasn't looking, so if there had been a collusion, who would have been to at fault?

But that's Lagos for you, maybe i'll gist you about my fantasy whenever i see people driving against traffic, it gets me so riled up, i always wish i was the governor of Lagos State. But another time.

So i got home without accident, thanked God, broke my 2 weeks not eating at night rule, the walk and different displays and arrays whatever of barbecue along Adeniyi jones, the suya men at Ogba, i think i'll start closing my eyes whenever i'm outside. [lol]

So i fired up my laptop and you know the different yet same news, Boko Haram has killed again, i thought here we go, SLS newly crowned emir to be arrested, well  power tussle, who wins this round?

What stumped me was the accusation that President Jonathan is being accused of attempted murder by a governor, i mean what is going on and why is it that these people have the annoying habit of not caring and blatantly ruling as if they and their families are the legal Nigerians, we the masses are more like aliens, but they would still have issues and come out to tell us.

Anyway, im quite sure of all the citizenry, one man who is not happy is GEJ, but haba he should learn to smile oo and tell all those his numerous advisers and ministers to shut up, they all talk at athe same time from different sides, it makes me dizzy, one moment the president is caring, next he's dictatorial, next he's uncaring,he really needs to buckle up. 2015 is sure going to be interesting .

So the world cup starts today, let me quickly share this, i grew up kind of interested in football, my dad and his friends watching, so you also watch just to be in the same place with them, you know how it seems he's not always around, so the time he spends at home, had better be good.

Anyways i felt proud in 1996, watching Kanu Nwankwo lift the Olympics cup, but in 98, i was in surulere for  a short spell in my aunt's house and the whole estate seemed to live on football, the excitement, the fervor whenever there was a match going on, it is better experienced than imagined and i quickly learnt that the least stressful way of going out of the house was just to say im going to watch the match in Lara's house. Yippee, needless to say i idolised Zidane and sorta had a crush on Thuram.

What about you, when did you fall in love with football? Do share: tiaajayi@gmail.com

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment